"Paintings have a life of their own that derives from the painter's soul." Vincent Van Gogh

Monday, May 5, 2014

Life is a Whirlwind - Art Mash and an Award!


I have been so preoccupied this entire week with helping my son move into his new apartment, wrapping up our month long anniversary celebration and getting ready for a trip to San Jose next week, that I completely forgot about the Women Artists of the West show in San Diego until my friend sent me this photo! Ballerina #3 won the President's Award! That was a big surprise and only a minute or so after seeing the photo, I received a personal call from Christine Drewyer, President of the WAOW organization, and she had such wonderful things to say about my painting - things like beautiful handling of paint, exciting subject matter, setting the bar higher - so many things that my brain was in a whirl and I can hardly remember anything from the conversation!  I am just thrilled and delighted to know that my large ballerinas are being appreciated - and I will no doubt have time to seriously consider this series once my excitement settles down.

Yesterday was Art Mash day at the museum and we were fortunate enough to have Kimberly once again as our model.

Kimberly / oil on linen / 16 x 12

22 comments:

  1. Bonjour chère Susan, chère amie,
    Toutes mes sincères félicitations... cela me réjouit d'apprendre une si belle nouvelle. Je comprends que dans le même moment pratiquement vous avez eu deux belles émotions ! C'est vraiment fabuleux !...
    Je ne suis pas étonnée, tes ballerines sont fantastiques et tellement uniques.
    En ce qui me concerne, il me serait difficile de faire un choix entre tes portraits, tes chevaux ou tes ballerines... Ils sont tellement toi. Ils sont très complémentaires les uns les autres. Je les aime tous ! ♡ Comment les déparier ?
    Je te redis encore "bravo ! bravo" ma chère Susan.

    Gros bisous ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martine-Alison, your warm and exuberant words warm my heart! There are times I stand before my easel unsure if I should paint horses or ballerinas or perhaps try another portrait! The decision usually comes with a sense of longing to see a certain subject appear on my canvas. Somehow they must surely all tie together.

      Delete
  2. Ma chère Susan,
    J'en oubliais Kimberley ! Elle est si sereine et belle dans cette pose lascive. Une autre très belle peinture.
    Gros bisous encore ♡ !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a challenge to capture her pose in this purely frontal view - thank you for appreciating my effort, my dear friend!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations, Susan!!! I'm so excited for you...it's an award so well deserved...you paint your "ladies" SO well! Love your ballerina's!!!....And you did a wonderful job on your live model class....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That means so much to me, Hilda. This is the first award I have won for a figurative piece that does not include a horse - so I am doubly thrilled!

      Delete
  4. I have always thought that there was something very unique and special about your ballerina paintings, so I am not at all surprised! Congratulations!!! And I love your life drawing :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That means a lot to me, Sandra - I am grateful that the ballerinas are doing well in their first public debuts - the show and the new gallery!

      Delete
  5. First of all Susan, congratulations on winning that prise. I`m with Sandra above in saying, I`m not surprised either. And your life study at the Museum is fantastic.
    All the best Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vic. I appreciate your warm words and I am glad you like the live model study. She was difficult but, in the end, I am glad I persisted.

      Delete
  6. Ballerinas and me, we are not at all surprised. My most warmest congrats to so deserved attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are such a wonderful supporter, Irina. I greatly appreciate your words.

      Delete
  7. Susan, I am so very happy for you!!! Your ballerina definitely deserves the award and the compliments and so much more! BIG CONGRADULATIONS!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Kathryn. This was a big welcome back to the show arena for me and I am delighted!

      Delete
  8. Congratulations Susan, you certainly deserve the praise , no surprise her ! Wonderful job on the nude too !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane. This ballerina is one of my personal favorites so it was especially nice to realize others might like her too!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. It was a wonderful surprise to receive this award - I am still on cloud 9!

      Delete
  10. such an honor and I agree with her assessment of your paintings. Love the way you use color. Kimberly is a beautiful painting.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and brighten my day!