"Paintings have a life of their own that derives from the painter's soul." Vincent Van Gogh

Thursday, October 11, 2012

If This is Thursday it Must be LIFE!

 
 Alejandro, our model from a few sessions ago, returned for an encore today. This was the 45 minute pose and my goal was not only to focus on the extreme foreshortening but to show how relaxed the muscles were and how langorous was the model. Indeed, I think he fell asleep during this pose! The paper was provided by the instructor - it was a heavy weight, smooth pale gray paper with a bit of blue rag in it. I found I liked it alot.


 
For the seated pose, all his muscles seemed to bunch up and become much more prominent. This was my attempt at the 40 minute pose on a thin, pale ocher colored paper.


 
The standing pose had me seated and slightly looking upward at him. This was only 20 minutes and drawn in ebony pencil on the pale gray rag paper. Next week is the last class in this session and I will definitely miss it - these past 5 weeks have flown by!
 
 Thanks for looking and, as always, I very much enjoy reading your thoughts and comments.

16 comments:

  1. Susan, all your last postings are great, as always. Your drawings on different paper are very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maike, I am fortunate to have an instructor that encourages experimentation.

      Delete
  2. Well these are fabulous - right down to the feet, which I always find so tricky! :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love drawing hands and feet! Thanks, Sandra!

      Delete
  3. I love these drawings, Susan, especially the one in repose. Absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one is my favorite, too - I think I am just about warmed up for the last poses of the session which are always prone as the models are tired by then!

      Delete
  4. These are ALL amazing drawings, Susan!! You do so well with life drawings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love painting live models. I haven't since college but your top drawing is my favorite. You did such a wonderful job! Excellent work, Susan!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so grateful to have found these life session - even though they are intermittant. Thanks for your kind words, Heather.

      Delete
  6. Great work Susan!
    Seeing your wonderful life drawings is motivating me to go back to MFA in Boston and take more life drawing classes! Magnificent work!
    Bravo!
    Your art buddy,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I encourage y ou to do so, Michael. It is so invigorating to draw from life.

      Delete
  7. All wonderful, Susan! I especially like the pose in repose. You have the foreshortening captured perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem drawn to the foreshortened compositions - many thanks, Kathryn.

      Delete
  8. wonderful life drawings Susan. and the portrait from the last post is just fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nora - and congratualtions on the recent blog article on your work! So well deserved!

      Delete

Your comments are welcome and brighten my day!