"Paintings have a life of their own that derives from the painter's soul." Vincent Van Gogh

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Tower of Piety - Sold

Painted about a year ago, this piece was inspired by a small carved wooden statue located in the Louvre. The carving dates from the 1500s if my memory is correct and has a painted surface which is in remarkably good condition. I was so taken by the beauty of the piece, the serenity of the faces and their rapt attention to the task at hand. The little carving begged to be painted! It is titled Tower of Piety and remains one of my favorites - 18x 24 oil on canvas. 
Merry Christmas to all who stop by my blog and linger for a moment or two - I hope your year is filled with joy. love, peace and original artwork!

4 comments:

  1. C'est un beau moment de sérénité que vous nous faites partager avec cette peinture. Belle harmonie de couleurs et la composition est extraordinaire. Vos visages remplis de sagesse nous font du bien.
    Joyeux noël à vous. Bisous

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is such fun for me to try to interpret your words, Martinealison, with only my high school knowledge of French. I understand phrases like " a moment of serenity" and "beautiful harmony of color and the composiotn is extraordinary". What beautiful words you write to me and I appreciate them greatly! Many, many thanks and a joyous Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful carving this must be. I agree with Martine (and thank you for the partial translation!) the harmony in the painting is quite remarkable especially considering the complexity of the composition.
    The individual expressions and gestures are just splendid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Shirley. Inspiration sometimes springs from the most unexpected places and in this instance the composition itself was a contributing factor. Thank you for stopping by and commenting - much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and brighten my day!