"Paintings have a life of their own that derives from the painter's soul." Vincent Van Gogh

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Art Mash at the NV Museum of Art

Tom from life session / oil on linen panel / 18 x 14
I really am surprised and just a little taken aback by my nervousness at the museum today. Having done weekly life drawing for the last several months, I realized its been a very long time since I painted the figure from life - in fact, I can't remember the last time. That is why I was so nervous. However, determined to make good on my New Year goal of painting from life as often as possible, I packed up my paints, a gray toned panel and my Jullian easel and set off for the museum. I had to wipe off my first attempt as I was trying to paint the full figure but could not fit it on the canvas. The second attempt was this 3/4 view. I was so nervous that my brush was shaking and I had to try and will my hand to be steadier. I finally settled down after the first hour or so. Tom was holding on to a thick wooden pole that I decided not to include, hence the position of his hands. Art Mash is an open studio 3 hour life session held on alternate Sundays at the museum school. The first Sunday of the month is a nude model and the third Sunday is a clothed or costumed model. I am determined to attend as often as possible. And hopefully my nervousness will abate over time!

The following 2 drawings were from the last session of the Reno Portrait Society in 2013. Elise had volumes and volumes of curly raven black hair. As you can see, I opted to just find the essence of her hair and not the color!
Elise / graphite on white paper / 24x18

Elise / graphite and white conte on toned tan paper / 11x9

10 comments:

  1. Good for you Susan! Full speed ahead! You nervous? You are so very talented! LIke all your art, this painting is wonderful. Your work is unique and fabulous! Plus what a great way to spend your time! Bravo! Love the drawing! Grand post buddy!
    Enjoy the museum and savor every second while painting!
    See you on the blog my artist friend!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, full speed ahead. Painting and drawing from life is high on my list of things to do to improve my art - not for finished paintings but for the value of the experience and the learning involved. I find that stepping out of my comfort zone inevitably ends up to be a good thing. I hope these experiences prove me out! Thanks for your encouragement, my art buddy!

      Delete
  2. Belo trabalho...Espectacular....
    Cumprimentos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life painting is the ultimate - thank you , Chana!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you are so happily busy with your life classes! LOVE those graphite drawings of Elise!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kathryn. Elise was an interesting subject and I wanted to capture the seriousness of her character. The painting is actually a bit better than the photo shows - its not quite as rough as it seems and I am not unhappy with it as a first attempt! Stay warm and keep painting!

      Delete
  4. I am glad you are painting. And drawing class work sounds so inspiring.
    And Ballerina is full with color and body, so much on the sunny side of life. Thank you for Messiah idea, I need to get classic music back to my life so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often paint with classical music but on the days that I am not in a musical mood, I listen to YouTube lectures by some of my favorite physicists like Richard Feynman and Murray GellMan. I also love listening to the young British physicist Brian Cox - what fun!

      Delete
  5. Love the sag of his belly and breasts. Brilliant the way you captured the aging body.
    Your drawings captured a "thinking" woman. Bet i would enjoy a conversation with her. The hair would have detracted from her expression maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love drawing and painting bodies that are less than perfect and probably do exaggerate the sags and wrinkles a bit! Elise had such a serious expression - a lot going on inside that head!

      Delete

Your comments are welcome and brighten my day!