"Paintings have a life of their own that derives from the painter's soul." Vincent Van Gogh

Monday, September 27, 2010

Tiger Gourd and Mozart

This little gourd caught my eye. Its called a Tiger Gourd and it was love at first sight. A few sycamore leaves from my backyard completed the still life set up. As I painted today, I filled my studio with the violin of  Isaac Stern playing Mozart: Violin Concertos. The CD is 70 minutes long and I placed the last brush stroke as the final note faded away - as it turned out, in this painting, I think of each stroke of paint as being equivalent to a musical note. That makes me happy.

3 comments:

  1. I love this--the purple foreground, those leaves. Cool! I like playing music too when I paint but I haven't tried classical for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Stephanie. I love painting to classical music - it seems to enter into me in a way that no other music does. Sometimes I will choose blues or the Beatles or Van Morrison, but I keep coming back to classical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan you have some great colors in this painting....that violet really sets the warm tones of the gourd off very nicely. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and brighten my day!