"Paintings have a life of their own that derives from the painter's soul." Vincent Van Gogh

Thursday, January 16, 2020

Washington DC National Gallery of Art.



The Smithsonian National Gallery of Art - what a divine place! I will start with the post impressionists and impressionists as they are always my favorites.

A self portrait by Van Gogh that caught me by surprise. I had never seen this one before and it is so vibrant, so visually compelling that I could hardly take my eyes off of it. A mere photo could never do it justice. You must see if for yourself!

I adore Degas and seeing The Mounted Horseman was near to heart stopping for me. His drawing skills are so superb - each horse and rider exquisitely rendered.

Degas / Scene from the Steeplechsae: The Fallen Jockey. This painting is very large, about 71 x 60 inches and is totally mesmerizing with gorgeous color. Degas exhibited it at the Paris Salon in 1866 but was unsatisfied with it. He repainted it and the  original position of one of the horses can be seen in the sky on the upper left. Apparently  Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon loved Degas' work almost as much as I do since many of his paintings have been donated by them to the museum.

Woman Viewed from Behind / Degas. I would have taken this little gem home with me if I could have!
  

Toulouse Lautrec (another favorite) / Marcelle Lender Dancing the Bolero /1896

Toulouse Lautrec / Woman with Dog / 1891
 And then there were a few surprises! This exquisite drawing by Verrochio of Woman with Braided Hair.




 And a small, perfect Leonardo Da Vinci portrait!


A tiny masterpiece attributed to Vermeer 


  And a lovely Cezanne landscape.



I took dozens and dozens of photos and I wish I could show them all but I do encourage you to go and spend a day at this wonderful museum. 

I will leave you with a photo of a painting I did many years ago of Toulouse Lautrec in his studio with his dog , his model and his completed Moulin Rouge painting!

Artist and his Muse / 24 x 36 / oil on canvas

23 comments:

  1. Great historical Art works...thanks for sharing susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could share the entire experience - the museum is so wonderful! Thanks for stopping by Ashok - I do love your photography!

      Delete
  2. Bonjour ma chère Susan,

    Je me régale ce matin avec la publication sur ton regard sur de véritables chefs-d'oeuvres... J'ai toutefois un penchant particulier pour Toulouse Lautrec. J'aime beaucoup la peinture de Gauguin, de Van Gogh, de jean Cocteau, de Paul Signac... et tant d'autres...
    J'adore ton interprétation dans l'atelier de Toulouse Lautrec ! Il aurait tant aimé admirer ton oeuvre, j'en suis persuadée.
    Merci pour ce délicieux moment...
    Je m'en vais visiter tes précédents billets que j'ai manqués !!!
    Plein de bisous,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love Toulouse Lautrec and find his work to be so brilliant, so true. One of my favorites is Rue des Moulins which is also at the National Gallery of Art. It is a real tour de force! Many thanks for your wonderful comments, my friend!

      Delete
  3. Susan I honestly think you deserve a place in this Gallery together with the famous impressionists , your painting is nothing less than those of the famous painters here displayed .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you for that thought, Jane - I am surprised and delighted! Many, many thanks for giving my ego a needed boost!

      Delete
  4. Hi again Susan!... What an incredible tour you had at the National Gallery. The "favs" that you mentioned hardly came as a surprise to me. They spoke clearly to me of the visually imagery that attracts you to subjects.

    Neither does the "sleeper"/curve ball that you threw at us to conclude your post. Every brush stroke and its playful caricaturing screamed... Smolensky!!! Trickster! LOL!!!

    A great post Susan,. Thanks for sharing!

    Warmest regards!
    Bruce

    A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always drawn to the painterly painters and never tire of looking closely at their brushwork and color choices. So much inspiration! Glad you liked my Lautrec in his studio painting - it was great fun to compose and to paint!

      Delete
  5. I was waiting and you did not disappoint! Your selection is wonderful and I enjoyed seeing the Cezanne especially as that one I had not remembered. The Leonardo was my hubbys fav. BUT...drum roll...we BOTH loved your painting, The Artist And His Muse. Big grins and well as total respect for the skill and creativity.
    The Vermeer, Girl With A Flute, is the size of one of my daily paintings and has been a real inspiration for getting the felling of a large painting into a small size.
    Woman From Behind is a personal fav. Just the confident way it is painted. I have never forgotten first seeing it.
    So many thanks for the wonderful, inspiring post Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Cezanne really spoke to me also, Julie - I had seen some of his work in The Phillips Collection a while back and it was generally dark and more brooding. This light-filled landscape appealed to me greatly! My husband loved the Leonardo as well - his favorite is Rembrandt so I understand. So glad you and your hubby both like my Lautrec painting. I have done several paintings of him - perhaps I am trying to channel his creative way of thinking and composing! As always, thank you so much for your thoughtful response to my post.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful collection of paintings, Susan! I love the little Degas too! And of course your painting of Toulouse Lautrec is gorgeous, great colours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That little Degas made my day! Each time I see another of his works, I love him more. So glad you like the Lautrec painting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your painting of Toulouse Lautrec is done beautifully, Susan. I love both of Degas' The Mounted Horseman and The Fallen Jockey but LOVE Susan's Horses much more...since the movement is amazing each time you paint them. As far as Vermeer..always a favorite. Thank you for sharing these photos with us....I definitely would love to visit the museum again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How nice of you to say that! I am delighted that you like my work, Hilda. I am working a a large steeplechase at the moment and Degas is one of my greatest inspirations.

      Delete
  9. Weer een fantastische fotoreportage Susan.
    groetjes van Simonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a wonderful museum - I had a hard time selecting among all the photos I took. So glad y ou enjoyed them.

      Delete
  10. Bonjour ma chère Susan,

    Je voulais te remercier pour ce joli commentaire laissé sur la dernière page de mon blog. Il me touche beaucoup. Chacun de tes mots sont si justes !
    Je te souhaite une très belle journée créative et elle doit l'être.

    Gros bisous 🌿🌸🌿de mon petit coin de France !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Martine - you are so welcome. It is my great pleasure to view and comment on your wonderful work! I adore it!

      Delete
  11. Bonjour ma chère Susan,
    Juste un petit passage afin de savoir si tout se passe bien pour toi et les tiens... Surtout prends bien soin de toi.

    Mille bisous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for thinking of me, Martine. These times are so turbulent, so astounding, that I have had a hard time grasping the many changes to life. I am well and I hope that you are safe and taking good care of yourself.

      Delete
  12. Amazing art work. Made my day!
    Keep sharing more.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and brighten my day!