"Paintings have a life of their own that derives from the painter's soul." Vincent Van Gogh

Thursday, January 31, 2019

Portrait Practice


Four quick oil portrait sketches - practicing skin tones and trying hard to capture, age, expression and character. Quite a challenge!

Making maximum use of my painting support!

A closer look at the female sketch as I was happier with this one.

12 x 16 oil on linen

8 x 10 oil on corrugated cardboard
 

My husband and I just got back from a short trip to Palo Alto, California, where we were lucky enough to visit the Cantor Museum of Art on the campus of Stanford University. This is our third trip there and on this visit I fell in love with a Picasso oil portrait (also done on cardboard titled Courtesan with Hat from 1900). She was so lovely that I spent a long time admiring her beauty and the absolute elegance of the execution of this little masterpiece. What a joy to see it!

Courtesan with Hat oil on cardboard Picasso 1900

 In certain areas of this painting you can see the original brown cardboard peeking through and I found myself wondering if Picasso (and others like Toulouse Lautrec and Degas who also painted on cardboard) used any kind of sealant. I searched the internet and could not find out what their techniques may have been other than the use of oil paint thinned with mineral spirits. The information that I did find recommended using either gesso or PVA glue to seal the cardboard prior to painting to decrease absorbency and prevent warping. I wonder if anyone else has experience using cardboard as an oil painting support?
 

17 comments:

  1. Bonjour ma chère Susan,

    J'étais très heureuse de te lire, comme je suis très heureuse de découvrir ton dernier billet. J'irai sitôt après mon petit commentaire admirer les précédents !

    Cette série de portraits est juste superbe... Ils ont non seulement ton écriture mais une âme, une authenticité... Les nuances de couleurs sont exceptionnelles.
    J'admire également la force que tu as de leur attribuer leur âge. C'est une chose pas simple du tout et tu y parviens admirablement.
    Une petite question... Pour toi, qu'est-ce qui est le plus difficile, peindre un portrait d'adulte ou celui d'un enfant ou d'un bébé ?

    C'est toujours un réel plaisir que de me retrouver dans ton univers.
    A bientôt,

    Gros bisous,
    Martine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind and encouraging words. They mean a lot to me. To answer your question, I think that trying to capture the youth and innocence of children is always a major challenge. But, of course, I find all portraiture to be very challenging!

      Delete
  2. Your portraits are fabulous, full of character!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judy - every one is a learning experience.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ashok - and many thanks for stopping by my site!

      Delete
  4. Your portraits are filled with personality, fresh and spontaneous, love them ! I often paint on cardboard and always use acrylic as a base to decrease absorbency. So far it has worked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jane. Many sites seemed to imply that the use of cardboard would be too impermanent - but Picasso, Degas and Lautrec - their pieces have been around for a very long time!

      Delete
  5. Your portraits are OUTSTANDING Susan. I love the looseness that I can never achieve. Awesome skin tones... The Picasso is wonderful...I don't ever remember seeing this painting.
    I hope to see more portraits, Susan...you're good!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you like them! Looseness is something I struggle with - it seems that my tendency is to become tighter and tighter. I have to stay vigilant if I want to avoid that!

      Delete
  6. I just love your delightful portraits. There is a joy coming from inside each one. The brushstrokes, expressions and colors all form a delightful whole. You paint how I dream of painting. Fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice thing to say, Carol - you make me happy!

      Delete
  7. Dag Susan, je portretten zijn allemaal heel bijzonder, ik zie er steeds verschillende karaktertrekken in.
    goetjes van Simonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And finding those traits in portraiture is what makes it so fascinating and always a challenge! Thank you, Simonne!

      Delete
  8. Pleased to meet you, Susan! Your portraits send strong messages. Also, your medium, oil interests me, as I'm a watercolourist. I admire your skills. Lovely!! Keep up your wonderful work. Best wishes, Sadami

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And very pleased to meet you, Sadami. I browsed through your site and am very impressed with your work - you are so accomplished! Congratulations on receiving the NSW accessible Arts grant! How exciting - I wish you great success!

      Delete
    2. Oh, thank you very much, Susan. I'm only a beginner. Please guide me. Your work, drawing and subjects fascinate me. Amazing. This year, I've got Australia Council of Arts Grant = Australian Gov grant. In 2015, I got NSW Accessible Arts grant. I will do my best to create a picture book with celebrated author, Libby Hathorn. I'll do my best. I heartily hope your success, too. Cheers, best wishes, Sadami

      Delete

Your comments are welcome and brighten my day!