"Paintings have a life of their own that derives from the painter's soul." Vincent Van Gogh

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Last Weeks Life Session

The model at last Wednesdays portrait session was a local celebrity. His name is Bob Carroll and he is a Reno radio personality. He is still broadcasting at 78 years old although he suffers from macular degeneration and diabetes. He is a handsome and regal man who knows everyone who is anyone in Reno and was a delight to draw! I had time for two sketches and am pleased with my likeness this week - thank goodness.




 Although I have not posted much recently, I have not been away from my oil paints and my easel. I have been doing a flurry of practice portraits and am working on a larger (18x24) figurative piece.  I have not had much time to photograph my work but will try to show the finished figurative in the next few days. Of course, tomorrow morning is another portrait session. Time certainly flies!

16 comments:

  1. A face full of strength and character. I think you handled the aging jawline and neck especially well. These are wonderful.
    Can't wait to see what you have been working on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an interesting session, Julie. Bob would pose quietly for a few minutes and then become very chatting, telling us all about his career and experiences. It was a very informal and relaxed time and even with the movement, I felt I was able to capture him - and it was fun!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful life drawings Susan. It is amazing how good one feels when life drawing sessions go well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is quite a good feeling of accomplishment when it goes well as opposed to the frustration and disappointment when a likeness is elusive! I have been going to life sessions for some time now and am starting to think about what I have gained from them and where I want to go from here.

      Delete
  3. Very nice sketches of this fellow, Susan! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diana. I like the likeness this week but wish I could be looser.

      Delete
  4. Susan, je schetsen zijn heel goed,je laat het karakter spreken.
    groetjes,
    Simonne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your portraiture is amazing Susan. Second to none! I wish there were more life classes around here - Portraits scare me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they still scare me, too - especially when the model is on a break and comes by to see what I have been up to! But the more I do them, the braver I become. I hope you can find some life classes - they are a challenge!

      Delete
  6. You did an amazing portrait here, Susan!!! You should be very pleased with this...and I look forward to your next portrait!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Hilda. I am thinking about changing mediums soon. I don't know - maybe or maybe not!

      Delete
  7. These are simply wonderful! I do love seeing your work from the live model sessions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So good! So good!
    Love the way you use the medium!
    Great job! Love so much! Love the lights! The treys!
    Perfecto!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having a lot of fun with these life session, Michael. They are great practice!

      Delete

Your comments are welcome and brighten my day!