"Paintings have a life of their own that derives from the painter's soul." Vincent Van Gogh

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Christmas Elves



I wanted to paint some of Santa's helpers as if they were very real but not quite of the same dimensions we humans inhabit! I did not want them to appear cartoonish but I did want to keep a bit of whimsy. In any case, it turned out to be a rather ambitious undertaking and here is where I am now with this - almost but not quite done. Its 24x18 oil on linen.
Please check out Gina Brown's blog - she has posted a very touching story of the painting exchange between her daughter Blaire and myself. http://ginabrownart.blogspot.com/



3 comments:

  1. A wonderful example of how feelings and expression can be translated into paint, i am sure you had a lot of fun painting this Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, your helpers are indeed most elvish - love them!! And I just read Gina's blog, a very "quietly wonderful" story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, David - I am not crazy about this one. I think it became too busy and too disjointed. It just does not flow for me and I did not achieve my goals. But it was a wonderful learning experience and I did have fun.
    Thank you, Kathryn - and thank you for reading Gina's blog - her daughter has really warmed my heart!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and brighten my day!